DeMatha Express- January 4th
|Here is the latest from DeMatha:|
- The Career Fair, scheduled for Friday, has been canceled due to extreme weather conditions tomorrow. We will try again next year.
- Happy New Year! Thank you to everyone who contributed to DeMatha during the Christmas holiday season and throughout the year. We appreciate it!
- Faculty member Ms. Janet Goodwin and her husband, Derek, welcomed their daughter, Sophia, on Dec. 23.
- We are pleased to announce that Matthew Ober (flute) was also selected to the Maryland Senior All-State Band! We were informed of this addition over the holidays.
- The link to this nice video of our St. John de Matha Day Ceremony did not work in our last Express. Try this link. It is a good watch: Video.
- Leo William Dunn, Jr., father of Leo '78, Chris '80, Jimmy '83, Eddie '84; grandfather of William '13 and Michael '14: Obituary.
- The DeMatha basketball team went 3-1 in the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach, SC., during Winter Break and the team's only loss came aainst the top-ranked team in the country, Montverde (FL) 76-66. The team, ranked No. 7 in the USA, is 11-1 on the season and will travel to Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia to take on the No. 6 team in the country, McEachern (GA), in the Cancer Research Classic on Jan. 6 at 6:20 pm. You can watch the game live through ESPN3: Link. The basketball team will also play at McNamara next Tuesday. The game will be streamed live by Andre Jones '87. Follow DM social media early next week to capture a link to view the game.
- DeMatha hockey defeated the Salesianum School, Chevrus HS (ME) and Calvert Hall in the past few weeks to improve to 12-6-1 on the season. The team will next travel to Waldorf Ice House on Jan. 5 to face St. Mary's Ryken at 6:45 pm and will then host Bishop O'Connell on Jan. 10 at 4pm.
- DeMatha swimming defeated St. Stephen's & St. Agnes 104-66 yesterday and now stand at 6-2-1 on the season. The team will next travel to Richmond, Va., on Jan. 6 to compete against the Collegiate School.
- DeMatha wrestling was victorious against the Bullis School and competed in the Damascus Holiday Tournament during winter break as senior Jason Robertson was the 220-pound champion in the tournament going 7-0.
- Mike Brey '77 passed Digger Phelps to become Notre Dame basketball's all-time wins leader for a head men's coach with 394 with an 88-58 win over North Carolina State last night. DJ Harvey '17 scored 17 points in the victory. Last week, Brey was featured in this article in The Chicago Tribune: Link.
- Cameron Wake '00 won the Miami Dolphins' Don Shula Leadership Award, which is voted on by the players. He also won in 2013, 2014 and 2016.
- Dennard Wilson '00, a coach for the New York Jets, was featured in an article in the New York Daily News on the positive effect he has had on the 2017 team.
- Dr. Stephen Danley '03 was featured recently on the Coaches Corner with Neal Murphy: Link.
- Jordan Pittman '13 ended his football career at Navy's 49-7 win over Virginia in the Military Bowl. The Pittman family was the featured in an article in the Capital Gazette: Link.
- Ja'Whaun Bentley '14 was named the 2017 Foster Farms Bowl Defensive MVP after recording a sack and five tackles in Purdue's 38-35 win over Arizona.
- Cam Phillips '14 was featured in a story about how he played this season with a sports hernia injury: Link.
- Ryan Allen '17 was named CAA Hoops Player-of-the-Week after averaging 19 points per game during the end of December and the beginning of January.
- Senior Detrick Washington committed to play football in the fall at Morgan State University.
- Kevin Davis '87 was featured in The Baltimore Sun on his efforts as Baltimore Police Commissioner: Link.
- Kevin Schwartz '06 has started an IT Specialist with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
- Justin Cobb '08 is working as a systems, appliances and product implementation trainer at CINTAS, a uniform apparel company in Hyattsville.
- Tim Cleasby '12 graduated from Guilford College in Greensboro, NC., and is now working as an Americorps VISTA member in Bozeman, MT.
- The Callaway Agency of the Knights of Columbus (Bob Callaway, General Agent '77) is looking for a Field Agent to service portions of Montgomery County and the District of Columbia. Candidates must be eligible to join the Knights and have reliable transportation. The Knights is a Fortune 1000 company that has been in business over 130 years. Earn a professional level income by being in business for yourself but not by yourself. Interested candidates can contact Bob at 301-421-1430 or Robert.email@example.com.
- A DeMatha graduate with experience in finance and research/strategy consulting is seeking opportunities to support start ups/small businesses or other businesses in one of the following areas on a contractual basis: research and strategic advisory, finance/investing, or business development. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
- DeMatha soccer will be holding a Winter Skills Clinic for children ranging from first to fifth grade. The clinics will occur every Sunday evening from Jan. 7 to March 4 in the Convocation Center: Register.
|That is all.|
Director of Advancement
|From the Office of Advancement:|
In a recent speech, Dr. Daniel McMahon '76 reminded us of some tremendous Stag Stats:
-- Since 1965, DeMatha has had just three Principals (Lou Amico, John Moylan, Dan McMahon '76).
-- Since 1970, DeMatha has had just two Music Directors (John Mitchell, Jim Roper).
-- Since 1956, DeMatha has had just two basketball coaches (Morgan Wootten, Mike Jones '91).
-- Since 1982, DeMatha has had just two football coaches (Bill McGregor, Elijah Brooks '02).
-- Father Damian first began at DeMatha in 1968 (although he left for a few years to study for the priesthood).
-- Doug Tschiffely and Joe Carroll started at DeMatha in 1970.
As you read in Sports above, another accolade for Mike Brey '77, who not only graduated from DeMatha but taught (and coached) here as well. Mike followed Danny Ferry '85 to Duke (as an assistant) and later recruited Kenny Blakeney '90 to the school.
When Mike became head coach at Delaware, he won a lot of games with Mike Pegues '96 and Darryl Presley '95 in his starting line-up.
At Notre Dame, Rod Balanis '88 has been on Mike's staff since Mike started there. Brey won an ACC Title with Jerian Grant '10 leading the way a few years ago. It only made sense, then, that in last night's milestone win, DJ Harvey '17 scored 17 for the Irish.
Brey and his 2017-18 team have a tough road ahead as the squad is dealing with numerous injuries. We wish them all good luck moving forward -- plenty of other goals still to reach. Stags never rebuild, just reload.