DeMatha Express- January 11th
|Here is the latest from DeMatha:|
- The National Honor Society Induction Ceremony will be held on Jan. 17 at 7:30 pm in the Antler Room.
- We are sorry about the cancellation of last week's Career Fair. We certainly try to help out DeMatha employers looking for applicants and those seeking positions. We can also refer people seeking career advice or input. Feel free to e- mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Senior Matthew Ober recently composed a four movement mini-symphony for his final project in faculty member Mr. Sam Haller's Honors Brit Literature class. Each movement depicts a theme from one of the four novels the class read during the semester. More about this story will be shared soon.
- Carl "Dutch" Amann, father of John '83 and Matthew '84: Obituary
- Matilda Bailey, grandmother of senior Anthony Walker Brown: Obituary
- Danny DeHaven, father of Kevin '04. No arrangements have been made at this time.
- Anita Fischer, mother-in-law of Kevin Davis '87, grandmother of current students : Obituary.
- Adrian Page, brother of Malik '93
- Judith Pessagno, mother of Rich '79: Obituary
- DeMatha basketball beat nationally ranked McEachern (GA), the No. 6 team in the country, 73-63 at the Cancer Research Classic last week and Bishop McNamara 77-55 on Tuesday. The team is now 13-1 on the season and will host nationally ranked Gonzaga tonight at 7:30 and nationally ranked Paul VI on Tuesday. Tickets for tonight's game will go on sale at 3:30 and will quickly sell out. You can stream the Gonzaga game at the following link: Stream Gonzaga. The team will travel on Sunday to Springfield, MA to face Archbishop Molloy (NY) at 2:15 pm. You can stream the game through FloHoops, but will have to join their service to do: Stream.
- DeMatha wrestling lost yesterday in their matchups against St. Mary's Ryken and Paul VI. The team will compete in the Cavalier Duels on Friday and Saturday at Archbishop Spalding.
- DeMatha hockey defeated Bishop O'Connell yesterday, 6-1. The team is currently 13-6-1 on the season and will host Mount St. Joseph on Friday at 4 pm at the Gardens Ice House in Laurel before traveling to Rockville Ice Arena on Sunday at 4:20 pm to face the Landon School.
- DeMatha swimming will face St. Mary's Ryken and Rockbridge County on Friday at Trinity College before a road matchup against Georgetown Prep on Jan. 17. The team lost to the Collegiate School on Jan. 6.
- DeMatha indoor track competed in the US Army Hispanic Games on Jan. 5-6 and finished fourth out of over 50 teams in the Varisty Men's section. Senior Brendon Stewart finished second in the 200m race and junior Nick Cross finished sixth in the 55m dash. The team will compete again in the Georgetown Prep Invitational on Jan. 16.
- Elijah Brooks '02 will serve as the head coach for USA Football's U-19 team: Link.
- Senior Austin Fontaine was honored with the "Lunch Pail" Award at the Under Armour All-American Game.
- Ahmad Clark '15, now a standout with the Albany University men's basketball team, was featured in an article in the Albany Times Union: Link.
- Tim Moylan's ('81) son was honored in the Treasure Coast Palm in Florida on his achievements on the golf course and in the classroom: Link.
- Erik Chapman's ('83) daughter was featured in an ESPN story on her athletic achievements at Good Counsel: Link.
- Sophomore Godot Gaskins won the RoadRunner 16u challenge, a timed run from second base to home plate, at ESPN Wide World of Sports in Florida, over the holiday break. Godot, freshman Charles Zorbaugh and sophomore James Holladay participated in a week-long baseball tournament in Fla., with their CrabFest team and finished in third place.
- Best friends at DM: Chris Grondalski, Nick Mudd and Zach Tilkens (Class of 2005) recently had sons Colton, Jackson and Perry, respectively, who were born within 3 months from each other in late 2017. They figure to have the kids grow up together and be future Stags class of 2035!
- Hakeem Bilal '06 will perform as a bass trombonist with The Cleveland Symphony Orchestra at Carnegie Hall in New York City on Jan. 23 and Jan. 24. You can order tickets through the Carnegie Hall's website: Order Tickets. He has subbed with the group for almost a year and will audition for a permanent seat in May.
- Gearet FitzPatrick '11 has a new job as a loan officer at AgChoice Farm Credit ACA in Pennsylvania.
- Kyle Jiron '11 has been promoted to assistant project manager at James G. Davis Construction.
The Friends and Family Fundraiser Cruise, which supports two great causes supports - DeMatha lacrosse and the Bowie Boys & Girls Club, is a 7-night, Exotic Eastern Caribbean aboard Carnival Pride (August 5-12, 2018.) which sails from Baltimore. The cruise is open to all.
You'll Visit Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, and Freeport, Bahamas.
Limited number of staterooms available from $1,135. (includes taxes, fees, and port expenses). Prices increase in Feb. $250 deposit per person.
*NOTE: The event is neither sponsored by nor endorsed by the school.
- Private Music Instructor Chris Vadala will perform as part of 'Sunday Afternoon Jazz At Seton' at Elizabeth Seton HS on Jan. 21 from 3-5 pm. The event is a fundraiser for Seton's auditorium renovation campaign: Get Tickets.
- John Molloy '11, a teacher and the head swim coach at Archbishop Curley, will be facing DeMatha on Jan. 25 in a meet at Trinity College. This will be the first time tha an alumni will coach against DeMatha. All swimming alumni who are still in the area tare welcome to come out to the meet.
|Spirit Wear Item of the Week:|
Just in time for Christmas! Oops, well maybe in time to spend Christmas money... Under
Armour's Storm Fleece Black Hoodie. This hoodie repels water and is light and breathable while the inner layer traps heat for maximum warmth and comfort. $60: Pay Online
|That is all.|
Director of Advancement
|From the Office of Advancement:|
|No postscript today. Go Stags!|