DeMatha Express- February 8th
- The DeMatha and St. Albans hockey teams participated in the Heroes Hockey Challenge, a matchup that celebrates and honors our country's Military, including those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Here are a few photos from the event: Heroes Hockey Challenge.
- Fourteen of DeMatha's student musicians will be a part of the 2018 Honors Orchestra for the Washington Archdiocesan Music Teachers Council (WATMC). They will participate in rehearsals and perform a special concert on Feb. 24 at Good Counsel HS.
- Junior Graham Lovely will be performing at Carnegie Music Hall in New York City on Feb. 12 with a brass ensemble as part of the Baldwin Wallace Conservatory Wind Ensemble Invitational. If you want to get tickets, click on the link to the Carnegie Hall website: Tickets.
- The Junior Ring Ceremony was held last night in the Convocation Center.
- DeMatha students, with students from Elizabeth Seton, participated in a service opportunity on Tuesday after school at Templeton Elementary in Bladensburg.
- Melina Petriccione, daughter of Joe '91.
- Evelyn Alberding, mother of Marc '75, grandmother of William '12: Obituary.
- Lucy Coyle, grandmother of Patrick Coyle '00, mother-in-law of Barbara Coyle, former staff member.
- William Murphy, father of Daniel '71 (dec.), Patrick '73 and Kevin '80: Obituary.
- DeMatha basketball defeated both Bishop Ireton and St. Mary's Ryken in the past week to improve to 20-4 on the season. The team will host Bishop McNamara tonight at 7:30 pm and will have road matchups against Ryken on Saturday at 3 pm and Gonzaga on Feb. 13 at 7:30 pm. The nationally ranked Stags are No. 3 in The Washington Post.
- DeMatha hockey is 22-8-2 on the season after a win over St. Mary's Ryken on Monday and finishes the regular season at Archbishop Spalding today at 4 pm at Piney Orchard in Odenton before hosting Gonzaga in a big game on Feb. 12 at 4 pm. The Stags are ranked No. 5 in the latest Washington Post rankings: Link.
- DeMatha swimming competed in the WMPSSDL Championships last weekend. Among the many highlights, sophomore PJ Emrich won the B final of the 500m Free with a time of 5 minutes and 4.92 seconds. Junior Myles Richardson finished fifth in the 100m Free. The team will wrap up its season by competing at the Metros on Feb.9-10 at the Germantown Aquatic Center.
- DeMatha wrestling competed in the WCAC Championships last weekend and finished seventh overall. Jason Robertson, Ty Kane, Deaglan McGuire, and CJ Smith-Cassidy all placed during the competition.
- DeMatha track competed in the Millrose Games in New York City last weekend and featured standout performances from the 4x200m team of Brendon Stewart, Naim Muhammad, Damon Green and Deion Green, who made it to the finals race, which is a major achievement. Brendon also won the 55m race with a time of 6.34 seconds and is, at present, ranked No. 1 in the US in this event.
- DeMatha held its National Signing Day ceremony yesterday as 12 football and soccer seniors signed their letters of intent to play on the collegiate level in the fall. Here is a brief photo gallery from the event: Signing Day.
- Justin Fairfax '96 was featured in The Virginian-Pilot on his recent start as Virginia's Lieutenant Governor: Link.
- Seamus Hughes '02, a counter terrorism expert and the Deputy Director of the George Washington University's Program on Extremism, released a new report this week on Americans who joined ISIS. You can read the report on the GW website: Report. The report has been covered by several news organizations, including Vice News, The Wall Street Journal, and NPR.
- Brian Chesnick '03 and his wife Kelly, welcomed their third child, Kailey Melissa on Jan. 26. Kailey joins siblings Brayden and Kenzie and is the granddaughter of Mark Hammond '77.
- Curtis Bennett '05 was named recipient of the Robert Finton Environmental Educator-of-the-Year Award.
- Congrats to Philadelphia Eagles safety Rodney McLeod '08 on becoming the first Stag to win the Super Bowl after the Eagles' 41-33 win over the New England Patriots!
- Jeff Knox Jr. '10 signed a free agent contract this week with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Link.
- Samuel Holliday '13 is set to graduate in May with a master's degree in public policy from William & Mary. He recently finished a capstone project where he and a group of students teamed with the Joint Leadership Council of Veterans Service Organizations to work on policies for relief, recruitment, and retention efforts for the Virginia National Guard.
- Kordell Williams '14 broke the Naval Academy's school record for fastest time in the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.03 seconds: Link.
- Kellon Taylor '16 was featured on TribLive.com on his performance this season with the Duquesne men's basketball team: Link.
- In anticipation of Rodney McLeod '08 being the second Stag to play in the Super Bowl, the first ever DeMatha House Cup Sports Trivia Kahoot was held last Friday, Feb. 2. Sean Limon '19 of Wootten House won the competition. Here now is an opportunity to test your DeMatha sports knowledge - and even better - win a $20 credit at the Stag Store. Below is the link that will take you to the DeMatha Sports Trivia Challenge. You will need to download the free Kahoot App to play. Points are awarded for accuracy and quickness of response. You will have a maximum of ten seconds to answer each question. Please be sure to enter your first and last names so that we can identify a winner. The Challenge will remain open until 8 am on Friday, Feb. 9. Good Luck! Kahoot DM Sports Trivia.
- A 2016 DM grad who is majoring in marketing and minoring in biology and french at his college is currently enrolled in a cooperative education curriculum which requires completing a 6-month full-time co-op or internship assignment in his area of interest. He needs to secure a co-op or internship in the next 6 weeks due to his co-op cycle beginning in March. If you are a DeMatha alum currently working in medical devices sales or pharmaceutical sales in Philadelphia and are able to assist, please contact either firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There will be a DM Football Camp for coaches on Feb. 17. Click on the link for more information about the event: Link. For questions about registration, email Elijah Brooks '02 at email@example.com.
- Registration is now open for the DeMatha soccer summer camp taking place in July and August: Register
|Spirit Wear Item of the Week:|
Show your support for our last few home basketball games. Let everyone know "This is Our House!" $18: Pay Online
|That is all.|
Director of Advancement
|From the Office of Advancement:|
|We have written about Paul '59 and Betty Cinquegrana in the past. Paul passed away over 10 years ago; Betty last spring. Betty informed us after Paul's death that DeMatha had been included in their estate planning and indeed DeMatha recently received a large bequest from the Cinquegrana estate. When Betty was still with us, we thanked her many times for the generosity provided to DeMatha. Still, there is no way we could ever have thanked the Cinquegranas enough. Their kindness will benefit numerous DeMatha students for many years to come. May they rest in peace.|
Father James recently received a letter from a former student, who did not graduate from DeMatha. We provide just a few portions of the letter (leaving out the name of the author):
"DeMatha played the deciding role in my life: I never forget the insights of William Kelly (former faculty member, now deceased) and I have lived by those principles without compromise. You'll be very pleased that I did complete R.I.C.A. (here in Florida) in 1997."
"DeMatha was a saving grace; many prayers were sent my way. The wonderfully good news is that your prayers were answered. I wanted you and DeMatha to know that. You are a good man and this holds true for everyone from your special school."