The Dave Daly Engineering Room
Dave Daly, a parent of two alums, passed away several years ago. In 2015, the Daly family made a significant contribution to the school to establish the Dave Daly Engineering Room at the school and to kick-start DeMatha's Engineering program.
Below is a photo of faculty member Dave's wife, Alice, along with faculty member Mr. Marty Hager '73, President Fr. James and Principal Dr. Daniel McMahon '76.
The engineering program at DeMatha focuses on introducing students to the engineering mindset. Students learn how to innovate to solve complex problems, given a set of criteria and constraints. After completing classes in the engineering program, the students can think like engineers, which is a useful mindset regardless of their future education and career.
Engineering Design and Problem Solving
- Students will learn about the many different disciplines in engineering while practicing the engineering design process to solve real-world problems.
- Rather than focusing on a single type of engineering (such as mechanical, electrical, chemical, etc.), students receive an introduction to many several of them so that they can better decide which engineering field most interested them.
- Students will participate, as a part of the class, in a worldwide robotics competition, FIRST Tech Challenge.
- This introduces students to robotics programming and design as part of a team, while further strengthening their engineering skills.
- After completing robotics, students may continue on to advanced robotics, where they will apply their knowledge of robotics to individual projects.
- Students have the option to explore any aspect of robotics and create a functioning custom piece of technology.