The DeMatha Music Department has a strong history of support from current and alumni families, friends, and members of the community.
There are many ways in which you can be part of the success of this fabulous program. Click on the links below to find the perfect way for you to get involved!
- Kaleidoscope Concert
- 5 K Run / Walk
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Tile Recognition Program
- Chairs and Stands
2016 Kaleidoscope Concert - Saturday, October 15 @ 7:30 PM -
LT (SEAL) Brendan Looney '99 Convocation Center
The Kaleidoscope Concert is a social fundraiser to benefit the instrumental music program. This event replaces the Annual Gala & Auction of past years and is designed to provide an economical and enjoyable evening for our supporters, while profiling the exceptional talents of our musicians. This concert will include unique pieces of music that may not normally appear in a standard concert season.
Funds raised at this event will make it possible for DeMatha students to participate in local and national music competitions, to receive music scholarships, and will support the DeMatha Instrumental Music program in many other ways.
Our thanks to all the individuals -- parents, alumni, friends of DeMatha Music, donors, advertisers, and members of our community of supporters -- for pledging your assistance to make the Kaleidoscope Concert a wonderful success.
There are many ways you can continue to help to make this event a success:
- ADVERTISE! - Place your own ad in the theater-bill program or solicit advertisements from local businesses. Just drop off copies of the attached sponsorship and advertising request when you stop by the dry cleaners, dine at your favorite restaurant, or head to the mall. While you support those businesses, ask them to support your school by placing an ad in the event program. Send your student a special message with a "message ad" in the program.
- SPONSOR! - It's as simple as writing a check. Send your tax-deductible donation along with a completed sponsorship form to the DeMatha Music office and we will include your name in the theater-bill program as an event sponsor. Sponsorships are available at multiple levels, to accommodate individual as well as large corporate donations.
- DONATE! - Donation of non-cash items are needed for raffle gift baskets or services in-kind.
- ATTEND! - Save the date and plan to join us on October 15th! Your ticket will get you into the concert as well as the pre-concert cocktail reception. Tickets can be purchased through the Stag Store/Events by credit card or send in your order to the Music Department with a check made out to DeMatha bands.
5 K Run / Walk - Saturday, November 19
Nearly one-half of the students enrolled at DeMatha will participate in this new fundraiser for the Music Program. Students will participate in this activity to help raise funds to sponsor the Music Program’s participation in a national competition. This run/walk will begin at the
Glenn Dale Community Center / Washington Baltimore & Annapolis Trail.
Each student is required to raise a minimum of $100, although they are encouraged to raise the entire cost for them to travel and participate in the competition. Competitions typically occur in cities such as Orlando, FL; Atlanta, GA; Myrtle Beach, SC; or Virginia Beach, VA. The average cost for each participant, including travel, is $500.
Pledge forms are available in the band office or by clicking on this link: 5K Run/Walk Pledge Form. Even if you don’t know a student who will participate in the 5K Run/Walk, you can make a donation.
It takes an enormous amount of manpower (and woman-power) to keep the DeMatha Music Department running.
If you have just a few minutes to spare, please consider helping us with the following:
- Stuffing envelopes & coordinating mailings
- Monitoring practice rooms and equipment during performances
- Selling tickets and passing out programs at concerts
- Chaperoning the annual trip (usually to Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Atlanta, or Orlando)
- Becoming an active member of the Band Boosters program, chair a fundraiser, help with set up or clean up at our annual fundraiser, the dance marathon, the band banquet, and other social events throughout the year.
To volunteer, please fill out the following form online or contact one of the following:
- Jennifer Doiron, 2016-2017 Instrumental Music Booster President (Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Helen Toves, 2016 Kaleidoscope Concert Chair (email@example.com)
- Patty Holt, 2016 5K Run/Walk Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
John H. Mitchell Scholarship Fund
The John H. Mitchell Scholarship Fund started three years ago in honor of Mr. Mitchell's years of service and commitment to the DeMatha Band Program. This scholarship is focused towards students in the music program that may have difficulty paying for tuition. All proceeds earned at the John H. Mitchell Scholarship Fund Benefit Concert will go towards aiding these students in their DeMatha education.
Scholarships & Other Ways to Lend Financial Support to the Music Program & Its Students
If you are interested in contributing directly to the music education of students, please consider donating to one of our various scholarship funds. To learn more about our scholarship programs, including the Charlie Lawrence memorial Scholarship Fund and the John Mitchell scholarship Fund, please contact Jim Roper.